On Wall Street, Apple Makes for Some Disbelievers
What effect the transition announcement will have on Mac sales "is a difficult question to answer," said Cook. "We have only limited data at this point."
Indeed, the data from the just-completed quarter was largely positive for the company from the Mac standpoint. Unit sales of Apple's PowerMac, iMac and other desktop lines grew 65% over the same quarter last year to 687,000. Meanwhile, revenue from those sales grew 49% over the same time period to $845 million.
Sales of the company's portable computers grew at a much slower pace, rising just 3% to $720 million year over year. Still, the 495,000 notebook computers the company shipped in the quarter represented a new quarterly record, company officials said.
The robust overall performance of Apple's computer sales likely will be cheered by investors. Many have been
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV