Stocks in Motion: Zions
Shares of Pilgrim's Pride (PPC) were among the NYSE's winners Monday, rising 9% after the company raised its third-quarter earnings guidance.
The poultry company now expects earnings of $1.17 to $1.22 a share, up from earlier guidance of 81 cents to $1 a share. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call had been expecting earnings of 93 cents a share. The company attributed the revised guidance to better results at its U.S. and Mexico chicken operations.
Looking ahead, Pilgrim's Pride left its fourth-quarter earnings guidance of 73 cents to 91 cents a share intact. Analysts are expecting earnings of 85 cents a share. Shares were recently trading up $3.36 to $39.33.
Helen of Troy (HELE) fell 6% after the personal care products company posted first-quarter earnings that fell short of expectations. The company earned $10.5 million, or 33 cents a share, on sales of $127.4 million. Analysts were expecting earnings of 39 cents a share. A year ago the company earned $14.5 million, or 44 cents a share, on sales of $107 million. Despite the first-quarter earnings shortfall, Helen of Troy reaffirmed its full-year earnings guidance of $2.50 to $2.60 a share on sales of $615 million to $640 million. Analysts are expecting earnings of $2.39 a share. Shares were trading down $1.62 to $24.33.Shares of Dreamworks (DWA) fell 14% after the company cut its second-quarter earnings outlook; said the Securities and Exchange Commission is informally probing trading in its stock; and announced the withdrawal of a $500 million secondary offering. The animation studio now expects to post a loss of 7 cents to 9 cents a share, down from earlier guidance that called for break-even results. Analysts had been expecting a profit of 9 cents a share. Regarding the SEC probe, the company said the informal inquiry concerns trading in its stock and the disclosure of its financial results on May 10.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV