'RealMoney' Radio Wrap-up: Cooler Heads Prevail
This morning's bombings in London were horrific, but they shouldn't distract investors from a few core strategies, Jim Cramer said on his "RealMoney" radio show Thursday
Cramer discussed the best trading responses to this morning's subway bombings in London's public transport system. Early in the show, he put aside the notion that the U.S. market's afternoon rally makes American's "unfeeling" or "uncaring."
"Exogenous events will always play roles in the market," said Cramer. "But after 9/11, the notion of terrorism as an event that can wreck our markets has forever changed."
Traders recognize terrorism is part of life, Cramer said. They need to be able to decide quickly what sectors it will affect. "And if it does not look like a sector will be affected, then we step in and buy."Today was a good chance for U.S. buyers as European traders beat down shares ahead of the U.S. open. Cramer partly attributed the European response to profit-taking, saying "our markets have not been as robust as the Europeans so they have more profits to take." Any additional fallout will be positive, in Cramer's opinion, as the British have traditionally been tough on terrorism. Cramer said he used this morning's weakness to buy the tech and defensive stocks that the Europeans were dumping. In other words, he nibbled at semis and aerospace names. On the other hand, he moved out of bank stocks when they rallied later in the day. "I'm astounded that the Fed did not blink at all when I was on vacation," said Cramer, who has been away for about a week. A lot of bank stocks have been buoyed by their high yields recently, but another two rate hikes means that cash will be more attractive. So he advised swapping out of the banks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV