Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Steadfast in Face of Terror
Jim Cramer told his "Mad Money" viewers Thursday night that smart investors were buying stocks -- not selling them -- after the terrorist bombings in London.
"We aren't mercenaries, we are realists," he said. "When it appears terrorism won't affect stocks, we buy," Cramer said.
And that's exactly what happened Thursday. After early-morning selling, the stock market turned around and finished positive on the day.
Cramer said today's early-morning selloff gave investors a chance to buy defensive stocks and techs. And when the banks reversed in the afternoon and headed higher, Cramer said that was the time to sell."No one ever made a dime by panicking," Cramer said. He said the market is more affected by business cycles than terrorism. "Our hearts are not black," Cramer said, saying he was a realist. Cramer told a caller that travel and leisure stocks are the weak links after terrorist events. If you have gains, or even losses in some of these names, it is time to ring the register, he said. Cramer said the run in the oil stocks meant it was time to take profits on some. Why not sell all of the oil stocks? Because the mutual funds are going to come in and drive the stocks even higher, he said. In his pick of the week, Cramer tapped Medco (MHS), which got hammered on news that UnitedHealth Group (UNH) bought PacifiCare (PHS). But that reaction was misguided, Cramer said. Medco does a lot of fulfillment work for UnitedHealth and that's where PacifiCare does a lot of business as well, so the thinking is that Medco will eventually start losing business. Wrong, said Cramer. He would be a buyer of Medco here. Cramer has been negative on the banks lately. Guest Tom Brown of Bankstocks.com said he would be a buyer of Commerce Bank (CBH) and a seller of Bank of America (BAC).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV