Pfizer Mends With Vicuron Buy
Vicuron has two anti-infective drugs pending before the Food and Drug Administration, which should rule on both later this year.
Pfizer's offer places a value on Vicuron's stock at $29.10 a share. The stock jumped to $27.53 on Thursday, adding $11.73 or 74.2%. The shares rose as high as $27.93 and easily vaulted past the 52-week high of $18.33. Pfizer's stock was off 4 cents to $28.39.
The deal is expected to close during the third quarter, subject to regulatory approval and a vote by Vicuron's shareholders.Pfizer has four big anti-infective drugs that produced $4.72 billion in sales last year, representing 9% of corporate revenue. But one of those drugs, Diflucan, an antifungal, lost patent U.S. protection in July 2004 and is losing sales. Its $945 million in sales last year represented a 20% drop from 2003. An even bigger drug, the antibiotic Zithromax, will lose U.S. patent protection in November. Zithromax had worldwide sales of $1.85 billion last year, down 8% from 2003. The drug is most often used in treating respiratory infections. On Monday, the FDA approved Zmax, a one-dose version of Zithromax, as a treatment for mild to moderate acute bacterial sinusitis and community-acquired pneumonia in adults. The other Pfizer anti-infectives are Zyvox ($463 million in sales last year) and Vfend ($287 million in 2004 sales).
Waiting for a PayoffVicuron, based in King of Prussia, Pa., has two drugs awaiting decisions by the FDA this year -- the antibiotic dalbavancin and the antifungal anidulafungin. Because both are so far along in the clinical and regulatory process, Pfizer is paying a big, but digestible price.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV