FTC's Fine With Harrah's Merger
On Wednesday evening Harrah's said the Federal Trade Commission had signed off on the merger. Federal approval was widely expected. Next up is the Nevada Gaming Commission, which is set to meet Friday. Industry experts expect state regulators to follow the FTC's lead in approving the merger.
If that happens, Harrah's expects to complete the merger next Monday. Harrah's is paying about $1.9 billion in cash and 67.9 million shares for Caesars in a deal worked out last July.
The casino industry's other megamerger -- MGM Mirage's (MGM) purchase of Mandalay Resort Group -- closed in April.Harrah's shares were up 43 cents, or 0.6%, at $72.45 midmorning Thursday. Caesars shares gained 11 cents, or 0.5%, to $21.78.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV