Apple Confirms Move to Intel
But the change could also bring risks for Apple: The company has steadliy lost developers and market share since its move to PowerPC processors a decade ago.
Indeed, Jobs spent a good deal of his presentation wooing developers, assuring them that Apple was doing its part to make the coming transition as painless as possible. The latest version of its coding software will allow developers to save their programs in versions for both PowerPC and Intel chips. The company also has developed emulation software that will allow PowerPC-based programs to run on its forthcoming Intel machines.
In addition, the changeover could lead to increased competition. Because the company will be offering a version of its operating system that runs on Intel-based machines, customers could conceivably install it on computers that Apple doesn't manufacture. Such sales could potentially cut into Apple's own computer sales.
Although Apple is garnering increasing revenue from its iPod music players, computer sales still accounted for 46% of overall revenue in the first half of its current fiscal year.Apple representatives didn't immediately return calls seeking comment.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV