Apprenticed Investor: The Zen of Trading
Take Responsibility: Many folks believe "the game is fixed." To them, I say: get over it. Stop whining and take the proper
Your knowledge of the game-rigging gives you an edge. So use your hard-won knowledge to make money.
We have a national culture of blame-passing, and it infected investing long ago. Enron did not cause your losses, and neither did stock-touting analysts, or talking heads on CNBC. You did, and the sooner you accept this, the better off you will be.
A Chinese proverb is particularly insightful as applied to trading: "He who blames others has a long way to go on his journey. He who blames himself is halfway there. He who blames no one has arrived."
Constantly Improve: Investing is
Change Is Constant: Heraclitus was a Greek philosopher best known for his "Doctrine of Flux": "The only constant is change."
That doctrine is especially true in the markets. Therefore, as you constantly upgrade your skills, you must remain supple enough to adapt to an ever-changing field of play.
Human nature -- especially in herds -- is unchanging. But these behaviors must be contemplated within their larger context. Add a new element -- PCs, lower trading costs, the Internet, vast amounts of cheap data, even CNBC -- and you introduce a new factor that impacts all the players on the field.
As conditions change, you must decipher how they impact your strategy, your emotions and your trading -- and adjust accordingly.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV