Stocks in Motion: Conn's
Updated from 11:23 a.m. EDT
Shares of United Natural Foods (UNFI) were among the Nasdaq's winners Tuesday, rising 1.2% after the company posted third-quarter results that beat expectations and raised its full-year sales forecast.
Excluding items, the natural foods distributor earned $10.8 million, or 26 cents a share, on sales of $534.3 million. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call were expecting earnings of 25 cents a share on sales of $527.5 million. A year ago, the company earned $8.6 million, or 21 cents a share, on sales of $448.9 million. Looking ahead, United Natural Foods now expects full-year sales of $2 billion to $2.05 billion, up from previous guidance of $1.9 billion to $2 billion. Analysts are expecting sales of $2.02 billion. Shares traded up 39 cents to $34.39.
Conn's (CONN) shares rose 0.8% after the company posted first-quarter earnings that were better than expected. The retailer posted earnings of $9.8 million, or 41 cents a share, on sales of $158.2 million. Analysts were expecting earnings of 38 cents a share on sales of $149.7 million. A year ago, the company earned $7.8 million, or 33 cents a share, on sales of $134.9 million. Looking ahead, Conn's reiterated its full-year earnings outlook, saying that it believes that earnings in the range of $1.40 to $1.46 a share is achievable. Analysts are expecting earnings of $1.46 a share. Shares traded up 15 cents to $19.09.Shares of Vitran (VTNC) rose 7.8% after the company said it would acquire Chris Truck Line for $29.3 million in cash and stock. The company said that Chris Truck Line shareholders would receive $26.5 million in cash and $2.8 million in stock. Looking ahead, Vitran now expects 2005 earnings of $1.35 to $1.47 a share, up from previous guidance of $1.23 to $1.35 a share. Analysts are expecting earnings of $1.30 a share. Shares traded up $1.10 to $15.13.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV