E3 Notebook: Xbox 360
Epic Games had perhaps the most liberal definition of a game being available "at launch." Although the Xbox 360 is scheduled to debut on store shelves this holiday season, Gears of War won't be available until sometime in 2006, company developers said. Indeed, the title might not be available until up to a year after the Xbox 360 is launched.
Gaming: A Spectator Sport?
Among other Microsoft-touted features: The Xbox 360 will allow users to watch online games in a "spectator mode." The idea is that just like sports fans who tune in to watch televised football and basketball games, gamers will want to watch other gamers compete, Microsoft says. The feature will allow active gamers to study the techniques and tricks fellow enthusiasts employ to get through various games. Meanwhile, casual gamers will be able to watch tournaments featuring the best players on the network.
It remains to be seen how much of a draw this will be. Most of the gamers at the conference seemed much more interested in taking their turn playing games than watching others do the same.
One thing each console maker is stressing this time around is backward compatibility; each of the new consoles from Microsoft,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV