Growth Fears Biting Apple
Apple has produced a number of hits in recent years under CEO Steve Jobs, and there's no reason to think that it can't come out with another one. Indeed, in recent times, notes Megan Graham-Hacket, who covers Apple for Standard & Poor's, whenever the company's latest hit product seemed to be coming to the end of its life cycle, Apple has invariably come out with another one.
Still, even under Jobs, the company has had some missteps along the way. The G4 cube, for instance, sold poorly. And the company's sales slumped as it transitioned to its Mac OS X operating system.
Apple seems to be increasingly focused on the world of consumer electronics. That shift has worked well with the iPod. But the risk of mistakes is even higher in the consumer electronics world than in the computing world, analysts say, giving investors something else to worry about.
Marketers of consumer electronics devices face similar problems as retailers that cater to teenagers, notes Graham-Hacket. Consumer demand "can be highly variable. It's not easy to predict," she says.Apple's move into that world "introduces another area of risk," she adds.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV