Weyco Sales Slide
Weyco (WEYS) posted a small rise in first-quarter earnings despite a slide in sales.
The Milwaukee-based shoemaker earned $5.2 million, or 43 cents a share, in the quarter ended March 31, compared with $5.15 million, or 44 cents a share, a year earlier. Revenue, though, slipped to $57.8 million from $61.7 million a year ago.
Weyco said wholesale revenue dropped 8.5% year-over-year to $50 million, as sales of the Nunn Bush brand dropped 18%. The company also said it decided during the latest quarter to discontinue the FLS subbrand, contributing to a 6% sales decline at Florsheim.
"While we are disappointed in the overall sales decrease in our wholesale business, we are encouraged that despite this decline we were able to maintain our overall profitability," said CEO Tom Florsheim. "Our retail division continues to perform well and our licensing revenues continue to grow."The decision to discontinue the Florsheim FLS brand is consistent with our overall strategy to position Florsheim in better department stores and specialty shoe stores," he added. "While our volume may suffer in the short-term, we feel that in the long run this will better enable us to achieve that goal. The company said discontinuing the FLS subbrand will cut 2005 Florsheim sales by around $5.5 million. After surging 10% to $20 during regular trading Friday, Weyco shares retreated to $18.73 in postclose action.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV