Cypress Plans SunPower IPO
SunPower makes silicon solar cells that transform sunlight into electricity. The unit was bought by Cypress in 2002.
Although young, the unit
SunPower sales are expected to be as much as $15.5 million in the second quarter, with a loss of $2 million. Included in the first-quarter loss and expected second-quarter loss are quarterly interest payments to Cypress of $1 million. The unit is expected to lose $500,000 in the third quarter, or a $500,000 profit when excluding the interest payment.
As for the departure of Hernandez from Cypress, Rodgers noted that Hernandez is from the Philippines, where SunPower has its manufacturing factory, and he comes from a manufacturing background, which will be instrumental to SunPower as it grows.Rodgers said the decisions about SunPower and Hernandez were made Wednesday during a three-hour debate at Cypress' board meeting. The timing for the IPO likely won't be until the fourth quarter. Rodgers said it will take about a quarter to get all of the paperwork together for the IPO and then he wants it to be making money when he takes the unit public. "We would rather have a profitable quarter in the bank and be forecasting a nicely profitable quarter when we take this thing out," he said. It's unclear what the financial benefits to Cypress will be of SunPower's IPO. "That is the question and we don't pretend to have that figured out," Rodgers said. However, he did posit that SunPower could have two classes of stock and that Cypress would control 80% of its board but would appoint only one or two current Cypress directors, one of them being Rodgers. "We want to consolidate them for growth but we do not want to dominate the company," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV