Investor Types to Avoid
[In 2004], biotech was hot and the tipster talked a lot about new drugs that were just about to get FDA approval (none worked out). [In 2005], the tipster [was] been big into government and military contracts; apparently, he gets to brunch with Donald Rumsfeld.
For a person who supposedly has information that -- if true, is likely illegal -- the tipster's trading record is surprisingly bad. With all of his connections and illicit info, it turns out that the tipster is little more than a rumor monger -- and one who's usually late to the party at that.
You know these guys; they never seem to have a losing trade. When they discuss their executions, they consistently manage to buy at the low tick of the day. When they sell, their executions invariably are the very best possible print -- and on almost every sale.Think about how often you've managed to get the very best print of the year -- or even the day. Over the past decade, I can count on one hand the number of times I've top-ticked stocks on the way out: Iomega (IOM), Micromuse (acquired by IBM (IBM)) and Qualcomm (QCOM). Meanwhile, I've had countless sells at the day's low print. Somehow, the liar manages to accomplish a decade worth of statistically aberrant prices each day, before lunch. I never call these clowns out. Why show your hand? But I make a mental note who the liar is, and judge all future statements accordingly. You should do the same thing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV