Dollar's Bounce Baffles World Bond Funds
Dollar bears seem to have their nose stuck in the honey pot.
World bond funds are the place to be for investors betting against the greenback. Particularly popular are the world bond funds that don't hedge currency exposure. These offerings benefit not only from the steady yield supplied by foreign bonds but also from any currency appreciation against the dollar.
In 2004, investors in unhedged world bond funds saw their dollar pessimism pay off. The dollar slid by 9% against the euro last year and slightly under 4% vs. the yen. That gave investors in these funds spectacular low-double-digit returns -- and accelerated already strong inflows into the sector.
But 2005 has told a different story. Worries over Washington's so-called twin deficits -- the yawning U.S. budget and trade gap -- continue to mount. Yet the dollar has turned the corner, rising 4% against both the yen and the euro.The dollar's surprising strength has caused world bond funds, both hedged and unhedged, to become Morningstar's worst-performing fixed-income category. The average fund has lost 1.9% this year. So what's next for the dollar bears and their favorite bond-fund toy?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV