U.K. Retreats on Gaming Reform
Last April, MGM Mirage announced a deal with Peel Holdings PLC to develop gambling and entertainment complexes in four cities: Liverpool, Manchester, Salford and Glasgow. That followed an announcement in February that the company would team with British Land Co. and spend between $364 million and $455 million on a casino next to the Meadowhall Shopping Center in Sheffield. In October of 2003, MGM Mirage said it would partner with Earls Court and Olympia Group to build a $255 million casino in London's Olympia Exhibition Centre.
Meanwhile, Caesars Entertainment (CZR), which is being acquired by Harrah's, last October announced plans for a $600 million gambling and entertainment complex next to London's Wembley Stadium.
And Bahamas-based Kerzner International (KZL) has plans to develop three casino resorts around the U.K.
Casino stocks were mixed Wednesday. Harrah's slid 14 cents, or 0.2%, to $63.86, while Kerzner fell 79 cents, or 1.3%, to $60.38. But Caesars gained 6 cents, or 0.3%, to $19.57; MGM Mirage rose 61 cents, or 0.9%, to $70.58; and Mandalay Resort Group inched up 3 cents, or 0.04%, to $70.53.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV