Yahoo! Sharpens Its Tech Edge
The notion of a focused search engine is another innovation Yahoo! has been aggressively pursuing. Increasingly, more sites are preferring vertical search -- or search tailored to a specific area, such as retail, health or travel -- to general searches that can bring in irrelevant results. Yahoo! bought travel search site FareChase last summer, and last week it announced upgrades for finer-tuned searches.
Unlike many online travel companies that are conflicted by revenue-sharing and investments by major airlines, a travel search engine such as FareChase is agnostic, able to reveal the best overall deal for users. "Even if consumers don't initially discover vast savings by employing these vertical search engines, travel search gives buyers a free, fast way to confirm they have made the best purchase and the convenience of one-stop comparative shopping," said Wolk.
These incremental developments are leading to a slight recovery in Yahoo!'s stock. In December, Yahoo!'s stock hit a four-year high of $39.79, then fell to a near-term low of $30.86 on March 22 amid broad concerns about the outlook for e-commerce and search companies. Two days later, Yahoo! announced it would buy up to $3 billion in common stock, or about 7% of its market cap, over the next five years -- a tacit admission that its stock was undervalued relative to what lay ahead. On Tuesday, Yahoo! closed at $35.15, up 14% from its March low.
"The buyback program signals that current fundamentals, including for Q105, remain on or ahead of plan," Michael Gallant, an analyst at CIBC World Markets, says in a research report on March 24. His company does not have an underwriting relationship with Yahoo!.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV