Expect to Be Wrong in the Stock Market
Editor's note: This is the beginning of a special collection of previously published investing lessons from RealMoney
contributor and market strategist
In the present-day realm of investing, the near obsessive focus on stock selection has obscured the "art" of investing. There is much, much more to buying and selling stocks than mere stock picking. Not that you could tell, based upon what's in the financial media.
This new column -- "The Apprenticed Investor" -- is all about making you a better investor. Not just a better stock picker, but someone who knows how to preserve capital and manage risk.
One of the keys to successful investing is recognizing the frequency of "strikeouts" -- and having a plan in place to deal with them. This is the first lesson most new investors fail to digest.
Apprenticed Investor: Expect to Be Wrong in the Stock Market
Coming Up NextOver the next few weeks, we will review the traps, pitfalls and common errors that befall all too many investors. We will disassemble the damaging myths that keep haunting individuals. My list of investing "pet peeves" will get some airtime. We will dissect the reasons why stocks go up and down; it's actually simpler than most people realize. We will look at the debate over the "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV