Waters Runs Lower
Waters (WAT) ran lower Tuesday after the analytical instrument company slashed first-quarter sales guidance.
The Milford, Mass., maker of liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry and thermal analysis gear said sales will rise just 3%-4% from a year ago in its first quarter, well short of the company's 13% target. Waters also guided toward first-quarter earnings of 34 cents to 37 cents a share, down from the previous 44-cent projection.
The company emphasized the effect of a quarterly decline in Europe but said sales were weak elsewhere too.
"The preliminary results of our analysis point toward a combination of order delays at our large pharmaceutical accounts and a more general weakening of our industrial-based businesses," CEO Douglas A. Berthiaume said. "Geographically, Europe appears to be the hardest hit and sales growth in our developing Asian markets, India and China, has lost some momentum when compared to the high growth rates that we experienced through 2004."The company said it would provide a further update April 26. In after-hours action Tuesday, the stock slipped $1.97 to $44.29.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV