Building a Foundation Like Home Depot Did
Editor's Note: This is a bonus story from Arne Alsin, whose commentary usually appears only on RealMoney. We're offering it today to TheStreet.com readers. This column was originally published on RealMoney at 3:29 p.m. EST Monday. To read Alsin's commentary regularly, please click here for information about a free trial to RealMoney.
Someone recently gave me an analyst report on Home Depot (HD). The report was superb, laying out the rationale to be long-term bullish on a company that has changed the face of home-improvement retail.
What's interesting is that this strong buy recommendation was written by an Alex Brown analyst way back in 1991. Since then, Home Depot has grown sevenfold, from a $10 billion company to a $70 billion company.
Building for the Long Term
Buying companies like Home Depot early in their growth cycle is rife with advantages for the investor. Forget worrying about the daily quote. If your plan is to hold as long as the story is intact, the short-term quote becomes meaningless.Whether we're in a bull or bear market in equities also becomes meaningless. You aren't going to enjoy a sevenfold increase in a stock if you attempt to trade around bull and bear market cycles. Worrying about the health of the economy, the level of interest rates and the price of oil are irrelevant if you own a Home Depot-type story early in its life cycle. And taxes? Uncle Sam can wait. In the case of investors who bought and are still holding Home Depot based on the Alex Brown recommendation back in 1991, they haven't paid a dime in capital gains taxes. All of their original capital plus their unrealized gain is still working for them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV