Nanotech: Dissecting What It Is, and Isn't
"You can buy a golf driver from a Japanese company called Maruman that uses fullerenes as part of a composite that forms the head of the golf club," he says. "There's also a company called C60 that has an agreement with Merck (MRK) to develop drugs that would offset or reverse the damage from Alzheimer's. They are also based on fullerenes. You couldn't imagine two applications that are further away from one another, but they're using exactly the same new material."
Nordan says it's more helpful to think of three types of nanotech-related areas: the nanomaterial makers, the intermediaries manufacturing composite materials using nanoparticles and the end-user companies creating and selling nano-enabled products. Nanomaterial maker Southern Clay, for example, ships its nanosized clay particles to intermediary, plastics manufacturer Basell, which makes a composite used by General Motors in the doors of its Impala models.
2. 'Nanotechnology is new.'
"Things with a dimension of under 100 nanometers with size-dependant properties have been around for hundreds of years," Nordan says. "Egyptians made colloidal gold nanoparticles and used them to make red dye that went into pottery. Cat litter is able to absorb these odoriferous particles that it traps in nano-sized holes; People have been synthesizing cat litter the same way since the 1930s."Even the idea of nanoscience has been around longer than many of the scientists who are now devoting their careers to it. In 1959 Richard Feynman, who won a Nobel Prize for his work on quantum electrodynamics, delivered a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV