Nanotech: Huge Focus on a Small Science
Turning these new properties into new products will take some time. Some observers point to the failure of Nanosys to go public last summer as a watershed moment in nanotech investing. And not a bad moment, but a very encouraging one that signaled that Wall Street wasn't about to get too manic about emerging nanotech companies. (Nor are venture capital firms, which invested $200 million in nanotech startups last year, down 39% from 2003.) One big success could shatter that sense of sobriety. But for now, investors have plenty of time to think rationally about nanotechnology.
"I think the market is smarter," says Tim Harper, president of U.K.-based nanotech-research firm Cientifica. "The Nanosys IPO was rejected for a very simple reason: Where's the product? You've got a bunch of IP [intellectual property]. So what?"
This is the first story in a multi-part introduction of nanotechnology to investors. Next: Common myths about nanotechnology.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV