MGM-Mandalay Merger Delayed
The companies said they now expect to close the $7.90 billion deal by June 30, up to three months later than previously forecast.
The casino operators noted that last week's appointments of new members to the Illinois Gaming Board allow the state body to review the merger. Previously, the board had lacked sufficient members to conduct business since last August, and before the recent appointments, Mandalay was expected to put its Illinois casino in escrow, allowing the merger to proceed without the state's approval.
Shares of MGM Mirage were off $2.26, or 3%, at $73.Mandalay shares fell only 26 cents, or 0.4%, to $70.50. The stock has proved resilient, because holders will receive $71 a share in cash when the merger closes. Also Wednesday, the company's announced Mandalay reached a deal to sell its stake in a Detroit casino, removing another hurdle to the merger's consummation. Federal and Nevada regulators have already signed off on the deal, so Illinois approval remains the last potential obstacle. Under the deal, MGM Mirage will pay $4.8 billion in cash for the Mandalay shares. It will also assume $2.5 billion in debt and $600 million in convertible securities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV