Rule No. 9: Defend Some Stocks, Not All
Let me give you an example. Storage stocks seem to be holding up rather well here. I think that sector may be worth defending. But that might mean I toss out a software stock that I'm more worried about or eliminate an Internet stock because I don't know when it will reverse. I would defend, only, say, QLogic (QLGC) or Brocade (BRCD), but not both.
If you rank stocks on a scale of one (buy) to four (sell), as I do at the end of every week for Action Alerts PLUS, you know that when you come face-to-face with the enemy -- an onslaught of selling -- you are ready to buy on the way down the ones you can truly defend -- the No. 1 stocks -- and you will wait on the twos until they are lower.
The nonessentials -- the ones that have no catalysts and that you are using just for exposure because you thought you liked the market -- they get the heave-ho immediately.
My wife, the former Trading Goddess, used to call this "circling the wagons" around your best names. The few first times you do it, you will curse yourself because you will be slaughtering stocks you might have had on for some time.But you must go through this process a multitude of times before you realize how right it is and before it can become second nature. You will end up with great costs bases on the stocks you really like, and you will have enough capital left to make a difference.
|1.||Pigs Get Slaughtered||2.||It's OK to Pay the Taxes|
|3.||Don't Buy All at Once||4.||Buy Damaged Stocks|
|5.||Diversify to Control Risk||6.||Do Your Homework|
|7.||Don't Panic||8.||Buy Best-of-Breed|
|9.||Defend Some Stocks|
|Check back for more of Cramer's Rules|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV