RIM Lays Down Burden
Meanwhile, the competitive threat from Microsoft may be more hype than reality, analysts said. The software giant has an ominous reputation, but of late doesn't have a great track record of succeeding in new markets, said Somaney.
"It's stupid to ignore the potential threat (from Microsoft), but nine times out of 10, there's a whole lot of noise and nothing else," he said.
For Microsoft to get in the game, it likely will have to sign its own licensing deal with NTP, noted the buy-side analyst. But unlike RIM, which gets the bulk of its revenue from device sales, Microsoft will likely have to try to cover those licensing costs with just software sales, which may prove to be a difficult proposition, the analyst said.
With the lawsuit out of the way and the competition a nonfactor to date, all the main obstacles are out of the way for RIM, bulls argue."I don't think anything is stopping them now," said the independent analyst.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV