Tech Stocks in Motion
Updated from 1:07 p.m. EST
Shares of NovAtel (NGPS) were among technology's winners Thursday, rising 14% after the company posted a 37% jump in fourth-quarter sales.
Excluding items, the company earned $2.1 million, or 25 cents a share, on sales of $11.8 million. A year ago, the company posted earnings of $790,000, or 10 cents a share, on sales of $8.6 million. The company's results were aided by strong sales in its special applications category, which notched a year-over-year increase of 36%. Sales in the aerospace and defense category rose by 22%. Shares traded up $2.49 to $20.25.
Harris (HRS) fell 1% after the company issued fiscal 2006 earnings and sales guidance. The company expects to earn $3.25 to $3.35 a share on sales growth of 8% to 10%. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call are expecting earnings of $3.28 a share on sales of $3.31 billion. "While pressure remains on federal budgets, we believe our government communications systems segment will continue to outperform the market as investments in secure communications, networks, intelligence-gathering and information processing remain high priorities," the company said. Shares traded down 38 cents to $67.36.Shares of Analogic (ALOG) fell 4.9% after the company posted second-quarter results that disappointed investors. The maker of health and security imaging equipment posted a loss of $3.7 million, or 27 cents a share, on sales of $84.3 million. The one-analyst estimate called for a profit of 13 cents a share on sales of $99.7 million. "We are not pleased with the results for this quarter," the company said, but the company remains confident in the long-term growth of the company, it said. Shares traded down $2.10 to $41.15.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV