Cell Therapeutics Crushed
Cell Therapeutics (CTIC) shares plunged early Monday after the biotech company reported disappointing clinical results for its cancer drug.
The Seattle-based company said a phase III study of its drug Xyotax in combination with carboplatin, known as Stellar 3, missed its primary endpoint in treating patients with nonsmall-cell lung cancer.
Cell Therapeutics had hoped the data would show its treatment was superior to standard chemotherapy.
"We are disappointed that Xyotax in combination with carboplatin showed equal efficacy after the unprecedented blended median and one-year survival we saw on the trial," the company said in a statement. "We are encouraged by the preliminary analysis, which demonstrates a significant Xyotax treatment effect, reduction in toxicities, and increased patient convenience."In the premarket, shares were trading at $5.11, down $4.89, or almost 50%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV