Cell Therapeutics Crushed
Cell Therapeutics (CTIC) shares plunged early Monday after the biotech company reported disappointing clinical results for its cancer drug.
The Seattle-based company said a phase III study of its drug Xyotax in combination with carboplatin, known as Stellar 3, missed its primary endpoint in treating patients with nonsmall-cell lung cancer.
Cell Therapeutics had hoped the data would show its treatment was superior to standard chemotherapy.
"We are disappointed that Xyotax in combination with carboplatin showed equal efficacy after the unprecedented blended median and one-year survival we saw on the trial," the company said in a statement. "We are encouraged by the preliminary analysis, which demonstrates a significant Xyotax treatment effect, reduction in toxicities, and increased patient convenience."In the premarket, shares were trading at $5.11, down $4.89, or almost 50%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV