Vegas Boom Sees No End
Casino companies are enjoying a heady boom in Las Vegas. Visits and convention attendance continue to increase, and the local economy is growing briskly, driven in part by an influx of new residents.
The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority said visitor volume increased 5.2% to 37.4 million last year. Convention attendance grew 1.2% to 5.7 million.
The number of rooms in the city grew by 1,021, or 0.8%, last year, according to the LVCVA. Wynn's grand opening will obviously bring a much greater increase this year.
But observers said with the casino business doing well, Las Vegas has a long way to go before it overbuilds."You see these great occupancy rates of 90-plus percent," said Matt Quinn, senior lodging and gaming analyst at Zack's Investment Research. "As long as rates are outstanding, there's a compelling reason why they should be building more capacity." (Zack's neither does nor seeks to do business with companies it covers, and Quinn owns no shares of companies he covers.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV