Merck Floats Vioxx Re-Stock
For its part, Merck has suggested that a relaunch may make sense due to the unique characteristics of Vioxx. For starters, the company has always pointed to Vioxx as the only Cox-2 inhibitor that has been labeled as safer on the stomach than older painkillers. In addition, it is the only Cox-2 drug that can be used by patients with certain allergies. Some patients have been pleading for a return of the drug despite its cardiac risks.
Even so, Merck could face an uphill battle if it actually decides to pursue the drug's return.
"Given that Merck decided voluntarily to withdraw Vioxx, the possibility of re-launching was always present," wrote Lehman Brothers analyst Anthony Butler, who has a neutral rating on the stock. But, "We believe that there are likely to be multiple hurdles for Merck to overcome should they decide to re-launch."
Prior to its recall, Vioxx ranked as one of the most heavily marketed -- and prescribed -- drugs in the country. It once generated about $2.5 billion in annual sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV