Times Buying About.com
The Times said the deal would help the company increase its reach among online users and help diversify its online advertising base.
The deal is the latest example of major media companies buying up Internet properties to increase their exposure to the fast-growing online advertising business. Recently, Washington Post Co. (WPO) bought the online magazine Slate from Microsoft (MSFT). Earlier this year, Dow Jones (DJ) completed its acquisition of financial news publisher MarketWatch.
Primedia, which purchased About.com in 2001 for about $430 million in stock, had been shopping the online operation around for bids,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV