Times Buying About.com
The Times said the deal would help the company increase its reach among online users and help diversify its online advertising base.
The deal is the latest example of major media companies buying up Internet properties to increase their exposure to the fast-growing online advertising business. Recently, Washington Post Co. (WPO) bought the online magazine Slate from Microsoft (MSFT). Earlier this year, Dow Jones (DJ) completed its acquisition of financial news publisher MarketWatch.
Primedia, which purchased About.com in 2001 for about $430 million in stock, had been shopping the online operation around for bids, it was reported earlier this month.Citing statistics from Nielsen//NetRatings, the Times said that About.com, which reaches 22 million monthly users, will combine with the Times' current base of 13 million users to form the 12th-largest company on the Internet. Separately, the Times said it was promoting longtime digital media executive Martin Nisenholtz to the post of senior vice president of digital operations. Primedia's shares jumped 35 cents after hours to $4.40. Times shares ended regular trading at $38.25, down 46 cents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV