Disney's Board Carries the Day This Time
Disney (DIS) shareholders sent a message to the company's board Friday: Nearly all is forgiven.
Each of the company's 12 directors received the support of at least 92.2% of voting stockholders for their re-election to the company's board, it was announced at the media and entertainment conglomerate's annual meeting Friday.
The ballot, tallied from proxies representing nearly 88% of shares eligible to vote, comes a year after an unprecedented 45% of votes were withheld for CEO Michael Eisner.
Criticism of Eisner -- which came from multiple sources for a variety of reasons -- climaxed in Eisner's loss of his post as chairman of Disney's board immediately after the contentious shareholder meeting last March.Eisner was replaced as chairman by George Mitchell, who himself received "withhold" votes from nearly 26% of voting shareholders. Criticism of Eisner and the rest of Disney's board this year -- both leading up to the shareholder meeting in Minneapolis and at the shareholder meeting before the preliminary board election results were announced -- was muted. When the company opened up discussion on the directors' election at the meeting Friday, the only speaker was perennial gadfly and irritating microphone hog Evelyn Y. Davis. In her characteristically meandering comments, the shareholder announced she was voting for all directors. Before the meeting, disgruntled former directors Roy Disney -- Walt's nephew -- and Stanley Gold announced that
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV