Casino Deals Put on Hold
The five-member Illinois Gaming Board has had only two sitting members since August, leaving it without the necessary quorum to do business. The governor has yet to fill the vacancies, despite pleas from the remaining members.
Even so, MGM Mirage spokesman Alan Feldman said, "We've been working with staff to find a way to make this transaction receive permission under the conditions that they now face. We're confident of our ability to close." Although Feldman declined to specify what solutions it was considering, analysts have speculated that Mandalay would be able to place its Grand Victoria casino in Illinois into a trust until the commission is fully staffed again.
A similar problem could develop in Indiana, which could delay the Harrah's merger. A majority of members of the state's gaming commission recently offered their resignations to Mitch Daniels, the new governor, who is trying to purge regulatory bodies.
Harrah's spokesman Thompson acknowledged that if the commission loses its quorum, it could delay Indiana's decision on the merger. "We are monitoring that situation, and the governor has so far not accepted the resignation of any of the regulators. We're still optimistic of getting the deal consummated, hopefully in May."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV