Casino Deals Put on Hold
The five-member Illinois Gaming Board has had only two sitting members since August, leaving it without the necessary quorum to do business. The governor has yet to fill the vacancies, despite pleas from the remaining members.
Even so, MGM Mirage spokesman Alan Feldman said, "We've been working with staff to find a way to make this transaction receive permission under the conditions that they now face. We're confident of our ability to close." Although Feldman declined to specify what solutions it was considering, analysts have speculated that Mandalay would be able to place its Grand Victoria casino in Illinois into a trust until the commission is fully staffed again.
A similar problem could develop in Indiana, which could delay the Harrah's merger. A majority of members of the state's gaming commission recently offered their resignations to Mitch Daniels, the new governor, who is trying to purge regulatory bodies.
Harrah's spokesman Thompson acknowledged that if the commission loses its quorum, it could delay Indiana's decision on the merger. "We are monitoring that situation, and the governor has so far not accepted the resignation of any of the regulators. We're still optimistic of getting the deal consummated, hopefully in May."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV