Aztar Slammed on Earnings
"In our view the keys to Aztar share performance are improved EBITDA, [earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization] at the Tropicana Atlantic City, which was disappointing, and interest in Aztar's assets by financial buyers," Curtis wrote. "Aztar mentioned interest in acquisitions to spur growth, so asset sales appear to be off the table." Curtis noted that Atlantic City EBITDA plunged 44% to $7.9 million in the fourth quarter from a year before. About $2.8 million of the $6.3 million decline was caused by a monthlong strike in Atlantic City.
In addition to the Tropicana casinos in Atlantic City and Las Vegas, Aztar owns the Ramada Express casino hotel in Laughlin, Nev. and riverboat casinos in Missouri and Indiana.
Aztar's disappointing fourth-quarter results contrasted with those from other casino operators. Harrah's Entertainment (HET), which is purchasing Caesars Entertainment (CZR), beat Wall Street expectations. So too did MGM Mirage (MGG), which is in the process of acquiring Mandalay Resort Group (MBG).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV