Aztar Slammed on Earnings
Investors cashed in their chips on Aztar (AZR) Thursday after the casino company reported a disappointing fourth quarter.
The results fell far short of expectations and prompted at least two Wall Street analysts to downgrade the stock. Others scrambled to lower estimates.
Shares plummeted $4.11, or 12.5%, to $28.78. More than 2.2 million shares changed hands by late morning.
Late Wednesday, Aztar announced fourth-quarter net income of $2.3 million, or 5 cents a share, down 81% from $11.7 million, or 32 cents a share, a year earlier. The average analyst estimate was for 28 cents a share, according to Thomson First Call.Revenue of $192.7 million was up 4.0% from $185.3 million a year earlier but far short of the $202.3 million Wall Street was expecting. In reaction, Bear Stearns analyst Joseph Greff slashed his rating on Aztar stock to underperform from peer perform, calling the results "sloppy." (Bear Stearns does and seeks to do business with companies covered in its research reports.) Greff wrote in a research note that his downgrade was based on expectations of a slower ramp-up of Aztar's expanded Tropicana casino in Atlantic City, N.J., a longer timeline for the redevelopment of its Las Vegas Tropicana and the company's "new willingness" to be acquisitive. "While we believe that there is value in its Las Vegas real estate, we think all of the above mentioned points will cause Aztar's shares to underperform a peer group that has relatively strong fundamentals," Greff wrote. "As such, we think the shares, at around $33, are a poor risk reward." Harry Curtis, an analyst at J.P. Morgan, cut his 2005 EPS estimate to $1.60 from $1.75 and reiterated his underperform rating on the stock. (J.P. Morgan does and seeks to do business with companies covered in its research reports.)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV