Apple's Mac Mini Gets Maximum Attention
The early indications have been that the Mac mini is a hit. In addition to Piper Jaffray's survey, Apple's online store and other online vendors have been showing a backlog in orders since before the Mac mini became available last month. Apple's online store, for instance, currently gives customers an estimated ship date of three to four weeks after they order.
Apple's Web store is showing a similar backlog for its two iPod Shuffle models. With a price starting at $99, the iPod Shuffle represents Apple's attempt to boost its share of the lower end of the digital music-player market.
Despite the low price, some analysts had questioned how popular the device would be due to its design compromises. The Shuffle doesn't include any kind of screen, making it difficult to select songs directly with the device.
The dearth of supply for the Mac mini and iPod Shuffle is only the latest time Apple has had trouble meeting demand for its products. Last fall, the company had a backlog of orders for its iPods and some of its computers based on the PowerPC G5 chip. Last year, the company struggled to meet demand for its iPod mini immediately after it released the device.In recent trading, Apple's stock was up 67 cents, or about 0.9%, to $77.57.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV