Revenue Slips at Sony
Revenue and operating income slumped at Sony (SNE) in its fiscal third quarter, as sagging sales of its PlayStation 2 and other electronics products weighed on results. But the electronics giant posted an improved bottom line, thanks to an accounting change.
Investors largely shrugged off the report, which came long before the opening bell on the New York Stock Exchange. In recent trading, Sony ADR's were off 22 cents, or 0.6%, to $36.72.
The declines in the company's results were largely expected. Last week, the company
In a statement, Sony Chairman and CEO Nobuyuki Idei warned that the company's results may not improve any time soon."Looking forward, we anticipate that the intense environment within the electronics industry is likely to continue," Idei said. "Sony reiterates its belief that strengthening the competitiveness of our electronics products is the most pressing issue facing our management today." In the holiday quarter, Sony earned 143.8 billion yen, or 138.08 yen per share. That compared favorably to earnings of 92.6 billion yen, or 92.51 yen a share, in the year-earlier period. But the company's sales fell 7.5% to 2.15 trillion yen year over year. And Sony's operating income plummeted 13% to 138.2 billion yen from the third quarter a year prior. As noted in the company's updated guidance, in the third quarter Sony changed its outlook on its U.S. operations, based on an improvement in those operations results. Thanks to that changed outlook, the company was able to use in the quarter a higher portion of tax credits that it had generated from past losses of its U.S. businesses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV