The Five Dumbest Things on Wall Street This Week
|Behind the Music |
That free iPod could cost big bucks
3. Hot Child in the CitigroupIt's so cool, we think, when the people at financial giant Citigroup (C) reach out to the Youth Market.
Until we realize that the reason Citigroup is reaching out is to get a firmer grip on the Youth Market's wallet.
We call your attention to the huge promotional offer from Citibank inviting people to get a free Apple (AAPL) iPod portable music player by opening up a Citibank account.
"Citibank Online rocks!" reads Citibank's online offer. "Get your money rockin' n rollin' with a Citibank EZ Checking account today."
Sounds awesome to us! Except of course, for the fine print in the ad, which explains that if we don't abide by the conditions of the agreement -- which involve paying at least two bills online a month for 12 months in a row -- Citibank is free to deduct $249.95 "from any account you may have with Citibank and any of its affiliates without first trying to obtain payment through any other means."
4. Nortel Me Something GoodBut Wall Street wasn't completely harsh this week, thanks to Nortel Networks (NT).
After several false starts, the Canadian telecom gearmaker released on Tuesday its long-awaited restated results for 2003. As expected, a report accompanying the restatements indicated there was a certain hanky-panky element to the company's original numbers -- inflated numbers that resulted in bonuses all around.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV