FDA Peers Over the Counter
The Tufts study, published in the Jan. 1 edition of the British Medical Journal, added that "insured patients faced with high co-payments on their prescriptions may also benefit financially from over-the-counter availability."
Switching drugs from Rx to OTC status "is an evolution," Joshua P. Cohen, senior research fellow for the Tufts Center for the Study of Drug Development, said in an interview. "It's based on a combination of clinical factors, consumer responsibility and the changing role of the FDA."
Cohen expects another flurry of Rx-to-OTC switches in the next few years amid an environment of rising drug costs, insurance company pressure and patent expirations on big-selling drugs. "It is, for the most part, cost-driven," he said.
Since the mid-1970s, changing physician, regulator and patient attitudes have affected the marketing of antihistamines, pain relievers, heartburn remedies, hair-loss treatments and smoking-cessation drugs. Some of the most famous prescription names of yesteryear -- Claritin, Rogaine, Pepcid, Zantac, Nicorette, Prilosec -- are all now sold without a prescription.Is Mevacor next? Four years ago,
Saving MoneyWhen companies switch drugs, consumer savings often depend on whether the out-of-pocket cost for an OTC drug is lower than the co-payment someone makes to his insurer for an Rx drug. "There is a lot more to consider than just the cost of prescription co-payments, which vary greatly," says the Consumer Products Healthcare Association. "Other circumstances must be factored in, such as the fee for the doctor's visit, travel costs and time off from work."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV