What a Week: Closing Kick
Gaymard said Asian countries with huge dollar reserves will be punished and long-term interest rates in the U.S. will rise without coordinated action around the world.
The dollar also weakened on the expectation that the Bush administration will not change its policy of "benign neglect" towards the dollar in 2005. The greenback fell to a record low against the euro Thursday and dropped vs. the yen.
While a severe, rapid decline in the dollar could roil the markets next year, another recent development has the potential to upset stocks, too.
This week, Fannie Mae's (FNM) Chief Executive Officer Franklin Raines and Chief Financial Officer J. Timothy Howard were ousted from the company after the Securities and Exchange Commission said the company broke accounting rules.Fannie Mae now has to restate its earnings to incorporate $9 billion of derivatives losses. Raines said Fannie had "always made good faith efforts to get its accounting right," but some question whether that was really the case. And with the Justice Department and the Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight also investigating, Fannie Mae, the largest source of money in the U.S. mortgage industry, is in a precarious situation. For now, of course, the glass is half full for equity investors. Fannie ended the week little changed and financial stocks overall rallied, aided in part by gains in Morgan Stanley (MWD) after the company reported good earnings on Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV