The End of Blockbuster Drugs
My colleague Paul Kedrosky also
Instead of developing one drug that treats 20 million people relatively poorly and with a lot of side-effects, why not apply the genetics of disease --and the way different people respond to disease -- to discover dozens of drugs that treat smaller patient populations well and with fewer side-effects? Sure, the golden era of personalized medicine has yet to arrive, but Genentech's (DNA) breast cancer drug Herceptin is proof that such a model can be successful and profitable.
The biotech sector understands this, and my guess is that Big Pharma will follow. (This is a good reason for long-term investors to like the biotech sector.)
The FDA has more than Celebrex on its mind: The agency also must figure out what to do with AstraZeneca's (AZN) lung cancer drug Iressa. On Friday, AstraZeneca said results from a large phase III study showed that Iressa does not confer a survival benefit to patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.The FDA
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV