World of Pain for a Class of Drugs
Bextra is not approved in the U.S for any postsurgical care. Pfizer recently said it will conduct additional studies "to confirm the long-term cardiovascular safety profile" of Bextra for arthritis patients.
That other COX-2 drug, called Dynastat, is given intravenously and is a cousin of Bextra. Last month, Pfizer said it would submit an application to the FDA by year-end, or about six months later than the company originally had predicted. Dynastat is sold in 45 countries.
Another player in the COX-2 arena -- Novartis (NVS) -- has kept a low profile because its drug, Prexige, is still under review by the FDA. The drug has been approved in 21 countries.
Novartis submitted its application to the FDA in November 2002. But in September 2003, the FDA said Novartis had to provide additional test results. At the time, Novartis predicted it would take until 2005 for the drug to reach the U.S. market. More recently, but before Vioxx was pulled, Novartis predicted that Prexige would reach U.S. pharmacies in 2006.Late last month, Novartis withdrew its request for Prexige's approval in all European Union countries, pending a review of all COX-2 drugs by the EU counterpart of the FDA. Prexige has been approved by the U.K.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV