Eyetech Jumps on FDA OK
Genentech (DNA) also is developing a VEGF-type drug for wet AMD. The drug, called Lucentis, is in late-stage clinical testing and must be injected into the eye every four weeks. Genentech is collaborating with Novartis.
A company working on a different type of wet AMD drug is Alcon (ACL), which submitted its application to the FDA on Thursday. Alcon's drug is called Retaane.
The Swiss drug and device company announced in mid-October that a key test of Retaane showed no difference from the QLT-Novartis photodynamic therapy. At the time, Alcon vowed it would seek FDA approval by year-end, saying there were "controllable factors" in the clinical trial that "negatively impacted the overall results" of its study.
Retaane is a steroid that fights the development of new, unwanted blood vessels. Retaane is administered every six months. Instead of being injected into the eyeball, Retaane is delivered via a tube directly in contact with the outer surface of the sclera, the fibrous outer envelope that covers much of the eyeball. Alcon is hoping this approach will give Retaane a marketing edge over Eyetech's drug.Other companies working on wet AMD treatments include Genaera (GENR), Iridex (IRIX) and Miravant Medical Technologies (MRVT).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV