Celebrex Warning Pains Pfizer
The Vioxx recall has shaken the once mighty Merck. The company earlier this week said that as of Oct. 31, some 475 personal injury lawsuits have been filed against the company relating to its withdrawal of Vioxx from the market on Sept. 30. Product liability cases include 1,100 plaintiff groups.
At this point, the two cases are dramatically different, but the cancer trial data are bound to renew speculation about the safety of Celebrex for treating arthritis.
In mid-October, Pfizer announced plans to fund additional clinical testing of Celebrex to determine its effect on arthritis patients who have had a recent heart attack.
Another Pfizer COX-2 inhibitor drug, Bextra, has recently drawn attention because of possible side effects, including a rare but potentially fatal skin rash, as well as some research that says Bextra patients undergoing cardiac bypass surgery had a higher risk of heart-related complications. Pfizer has released research showing that there are no increases in cardiovascular risks among patients who took Bextra for between six weeks and 52 weeks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV