Las Vegas Sands Drawing a Crowd
Investors will soon be able to bet on another flashy casino stock, with the initial public offering of the Las Vegas Sands Corp. expected Tuesday.
Business is booming in Las Vegas and stocks in casino companies have been riding high this year, with the Dow Jones Casinos Index up more than 25% year to date. By comparison, the S&P 500 is up about 7%, and the Dow Jones Industrial Average has gained only about 1%.
Investors appear eager to pick up shares of Las Vegas Sands, which counts among its properties The Venetian Casino Resort on the Las Vegas Strip, a luxury resort complete with gondola rides and a replica of Venice's St. Mark's Square. The Venetian stands on storied ground: the site of the old Sands Hotel and Casino. Razed in 1996, the Sands was a favorite hangout of Rat Packers like Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr.
Demand was strong enough to allow the Las Vegas-based company to up its price target Friday. In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Las Vegas Sands said it estimated the offering price would be $24 to $26 a share, vs. the previous range of $20 to $22 a share.The company has filed to sell 23.8 million shares, although underwriters led by Goldman Sachs & Co. may opt to purchase an additional 3.5 million shares. All told, the offer could raise $711.9 million. Assuming 23.8 million shares sell at the midpoint of the current price target, Las Vegas Sands would have an initial market capitalization of $8.75 billion. Public shareholders will own 6.8% of the stock. Sheldon Adelson, the company's chairman and CEO, and trusts for his family members will hold an 87.9% stake, with company directors and senior executives accounting for the remaining 5.3%. Following the IPO, the Las Vegas Sands Corp. stock is expected to trade on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol LVS.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV