The Five Dumbest Things on Wall Street This Week
|No 'Lockup' on MSO Future
Stock boosted by diva's TV plan
1. Someone From NBC Is in the Kitchen With MarthaWe appreciate that Martha Stewart is paying her debt to society. But it sure looks like the founder of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia (MSO) will come out ahead on the deal.
On Wednesday, MSO announced that Stewart will star in a new TV show starting in the fall of 2005. The show will be produced by reality TV maven Mark Burnett and distributed by General Electric's (GE) NBC Universal.
Shares in MSO, which traded at $16.59 before Stewart reported to prison Oct. 8, continued their upward climb Thursday, jumping $1.48 to close at $25.91.
Wow. We know Martha reported to jail before necessary so she could be done serving time next March. But given the stock's performance while she's been behind bars in West Virginia, she should beg the U.S. attorney to extend her sentence. Add a few more months to her jail term, and MSO will be hotter than Travelzoo (TZOO).
2. Get Well Soon
You know, we're beginning to feel sorry for the folks at Merck (MRK).We don't know what damage Vioxx may have caused people who took the drug. We don't know what decision-makers at Merck knew about Vioxx's dangers before it ended up withdrawing the drug. But we do know that Merck is in a heap of legal trouble, and it will be for a long time. We do know that if you type Vioxx into Yahoo! or Google, you'll be overwhelmed with advertisements for lawyers who'll help you sue the company. We do know that Merck's board said Tuesday that a special board committee will be studying the Vioxx affair, and to figure out how to respond to Vioxx-related shareholder litigation. And we do know that Merck said this week it couldn't begin to estimate the number that is key to valuing the company going forward: the legal liabilities the company faces from all of its unhappy shareholders and dissatisfied Vioxx customers. Perhaps you've heard General Motors (GM) described as a finance company with an auto manufacturer attached. Well, for the next few years, Merck is a lawsuit with a pharmaceutical company attached.
|Vying For Vioxx Plaintiffs
Merck's legal morass
3. At 18 Miles You Hit the Wal-MartWhat do we talk about when we talk about Wal-Mart's (WMT) problems? Maybe the wrong thing. For the past week or two, we at the research lab have been talking about Wal-Mart's problems as a pricing issue. On the one hand, we hear, Wal-Mart has cut its prices so low that the strategy has had counterproductive, diminishing returns. On the other hand, Wal-Mart didn't cut prices enough on items it could have used to generate traffic to the store over Thanksgiving weekend.
|Wall to Wal-Marts
If you build it, not on top of each other...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV