FDA Seeks More Safety Data on Intrinsa
Updated from 5:21 p.m. EDT
An advisory committee of the Food and Drug Administration said Thursday that an experimental drug to increase women's sexual desire will need more study of its long-term safety before the panel could recommend approval.
The panel voted unanimously that the FDA should reject the product.
The committee of experts said that although the drug Intrinsa, a transdermal patch that transmits the hormone testosterone, is effective, the company's developer hadn't provided enough information about the drug's long-term safety. The drug is made by Procter & Gamble (PG), under license from Watson Pharmaceuticals (WPI).Many Wall Street analysts had speculated that Intrinsa could be the female version of Viagra, the erectile dysfunction drug made by Pfizer (PFE). P&G was asking the advisory committee to approve the drug designed to improve sexual desire in menopausal women whose ovaries have been surgically removed. The FDA isn't bound by its advisory committees' opinions, but the agency usually follows their recommendations. Intrinsa would be the first FDA-approved drug to treat the condition called hypoactive sexual desire disorder. Other companies are working on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV