Applied Materials' Slide Brings Out Buyers
Updated from 9:50 a.m. EST
Shares of Applied Materials
The stock was recently faring better and was down 36 cents, or 2.1%, to $16.98, after earlier approaching its 52-week low of $15.34. First Albany lowered the stock to neutral from buy, while Needham and J.P. Morgan opined that the worst of the company's news is probably out.
At First Albany, Auguste Richard said he thinks the shares "will trade sideways until bookings momentum returns."He added that the quality of fourth-quarter earnings was weak. Applied had guided EPS to 24 cents to 26 cents, but after stripping out a lower-than-expected tax rate, earnings would have been 23 cents -- a penny below the company's guidance. His firm hasn't done banking for Applied. In the opposite camp, Needham's Robert Maire wrote, "While the knee-jerk reaction is likely to be very negative, we would not be surprised to see some upgrades from other analysts calling for an early bottom. This is true in that the stocks tend to bottom a quarter or two before reality bottoms in this group." Recently, he pointed out, fellow equipment maker Teradyne
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV