Microsoft Nixes Intel's Itanium Chip
An upcoming Microsoft (MSFT) software product for clustered servers won't run on Intel's (INTC) high-end Itanium 2 chip, according to a report first published on News.com. Instead, it will be optimized for a more mainstream type of server chip from Intel and rival Advanced Micro Devices (AMD).
Itanium, which debuted in 2001, has long been rapped for failing to gain a level of market acceptance proportional to its high design costs. The latest news signals that Itanium will at least initially be left out of a server market that has gained increasing sway in the computing world.
Clustered servers -- linked networks of servers, which each contain only two or four processors -- were first viewed as a low-cost alternative to bigger, more expensive hardware. But they have quickly scaled the ladder to become important in high-powered academic and industry settings as well.
Of the world's 500 most powerful supercomputers, 296 systems were categorized as clusters, according to twice-yearly rankings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV