Boise Trades Forest for Jungle
With Boise (BCC) preparing to abandon its 47-year-old timber business to become an office supply chain, investors will be studying the stock under a new lens when it reports third-quarter earnings Tuesday.
After the sale of its forest products business is completed later this year, the former Boise Cascade will adopt the name of its recent acquisition, OfficeMax, and take on the likes of Staples (SPLS) and Office Depot (ODP) in a highly competitive industry where tight battle lines are already drawn.
In the meantime, the stock is in limbo on Wall Street, as Boise's old analysts turn over coverage to the retail crowd. Complicating matters, the company is in stealth mode, refusing to comment for this story while it works on its transition.
Still, a handful of observers are making a case that shares are undervalued.At $33.77, Boise is trading in the middle of its 52-week trading range, about 13 times earnings estimates through December 2005. That's well below the office supply heavyweight, Staples, at 17.8 times earnings by the same measure. But it's higher than the industry's No. 2 player, Office Depot, at 11.7. Lehman Brothers analyst Peter Ruschmeier argued in a recent research note that Boise could jump to $40 by the end of the year after the convergence of several positive catalysts on the way. "We believe our $40 target price could be reached soon after the planned sale of
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV